There are 3 categories under which, an application for British Citizenship can be submitted. Irrespective of the category, it is mandatory to clear the, ‘New Life in UK’, test. Lets take a look eligibility for British citizenship.
British Citizenship after 6 years of residence
Persons applying under this category must possess the below stated qualities.
- Must be 18 years of age or more, and mentally healthy.
- Must have impeccable character.
- Proficiency in understanding and spoken English.
- Must be employed in the United Kingdom.
- 6 years of residence must be completed, prior to submitting the application.
- During the stay in the UK, no more than 450 days should have been spent abroad.
- Continuous residence in UK for 6 years.
- Should not have been involved in any criminal or illegal activity. No case should have been filed upon violation of immigration laws.
Note: It takes from 6 to 7 months to take a decision regarding an immigration case. Hiring a British attorney, will allow him to present your case rather adequately.
British Citizenship through Marriage
British Citizenship through marriage can be applied, on completing 3 years. The following conditions apply:
- 3 years continuous residence in Britain
- No more than 270 days should have been spent abroad
- No more than 90 days should have been spent abroad in the last year
- No case pertaining to any illegal activity, should have been filed during the stay in the UK
Coming to Britain on business visa and having a stay duration worth 5 continuous years; you can apply through the business scheme for British Citizenship. The application fee is £950.